August 23, 2012

Gurgaon School Admissions – My Two Cents


We’ve almost finalized our son's admission in Lotus Valley International School. The experience was interesting but we had a lot of confusion while choosing the school. You can read about my thoughts on various schools on another blog I’ve written. Below are some tips for parents searching for schools in Gurgaon. My experience is based on choosing a school for pre-nursery and may differ from those seeking admissions in higher classes. Therefore, please use your best knowledge, information and judgement to arrive at a decision.

Registration – Registration means that you are interested in seeking admission in a school. If you go and visit a school and ask for the form, the school will generally charge Rs. 500 – Rs. 1,000 for giving you a school prospectus, CDs, fee structure and other material along with the registration form in which details of the student and parents are filled.

A suggestion here would be to go to different schools which you are interested in – see the infrastructure, interact with the admissions coordinator and get your queries answered. You would certainly want to have information about the fees. If you’re paying Rs.1,000, the school will give you a sheet with the breakup of the fees – admission, annual charges, refundable, quarterly etc. But if you’re not willing to shell out the money, the school may not give you the “fee sheet” (I’ve seen the receptionist refusing to give the fee breakup sheet in one of the schools, though she did allow the parents to make a note of the fees on a separate piece of paper).

In such a case, the parents may take a note of the fees by writing on another piece of paper or taking a picture from their mobile cameras. I found parents doing this and I consider it smart and sensible. Why would I want to pay the registration fees for a school which is beyond my budget or not up to my expectations in some aspect? I would also want to do a “cost – benefit” analysis for the various schools before finalizing for which I would need the fee breakup.

The best thing is to do an internet research on the schools, shortlist a few, visit them, come back home, reflect upon and then finally come to a decision. Once finalized, you can download the school form from the internet (school website or other school admission websites), take a print, fill, go to the school and pay the registration fees while submitting the form.

Some schools here in Gurgaon give admissions on a first-come-first-serve basis. If you are choosing such a school, following the above procedure will save you from spending on registration fees unnecessarily, if you start early.

I myself purchased admission forms for Lotus Valley and Shalom Hills, Nirvana. We got admission in Lotus Valley and haven’t yet filled the Shalom Hills form. Looking back, it seems we could have save the 1,000 bucks we spent for Shalom Hills…And though I read on another blog that you should keep 4-5 schools in hand, acting smart can save you a couple of bucks without taking any risk.

Please share your experiences and views in the comments.

P.S.: Experience based on admission in pre-nursery in Gurgaon

3 comments:

Unknown said...

School 4 My Kid, Online School Admission Portal Provides Gurgaon School Complete information Online From, online Registration, Online fee Payment System
keywords - School in Gurgaon, Schools in Gurgaon
http://school4mykid.com/gurgaon-schools.aspx

Anonymous said...

Helpful info. Lucky me I found your website unintentionally, and I am
shocked why this accident did not happened in advance!
I bookmarked it.

Here is my blog post - garcinia cambogia

Anonymous said...

Noгmally I do not rеad articlе on blogs, but ӏ
wish to ѕay that this wгitе-up
ѵery foгсed mе to try and do it!
Your writing style has been suгpгisеԁ me.
Thankѕ, ѵerу great article.

Аlso visit my web page :: en ucuz Bebek Bakımı ve Sağlığı

 
}